Are you looking to change your life; be more energetic, vibrant, achieve higher levels of concentration and be generally healthy? Making better choices in terms of what you put into your mouth will go a long way in achieving this.
Health is a multifaceted product that entails being mentally and physically fit to handle daily activities without overexerting your body. We are habitual creatures, and thus our habits dictate whom we become in life.
How Can Good Nutrition Change Your Life?
What you consume has a big influence on your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing. Nutrition gives our bodies and the brain the ability to function and to rebuild itself as we go about our daily lives.
On the contrary, poor nutrition has been linked with:
- Poor cognitive development
- Micronutrient deficiencies
- Weakened immunity
- Stunting in children and has long-term effects spanning into adulthood predisposing you to cardiovascular diseases, obesity, diabetes, among other non-communicable diseases.
Tips To A Healthy Lifestyle
Eat a balanced diet
A balanced diet contains the right proportional quantities of nutrients. These nutrients are carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals. The nutrients should come from a variety of sources and in, adequate quantities since no single food has all the nutrients required by the body.
Popular sources of these nutrients are as follows:
- Carbohydrates: Cereals, grains such as maize, rice, arrow roots, yams, cassava, wheat and wheat products, potatoes
- Proteins: There are plant and animal sources of proteins. The animal sources include beef, mutton, pork, poultry, and fish, dairy products such as milk, cheese and whey. The plant sources of proteins include lentils, beans, legumes, soy, tofu, hemp, and peas, among others.
- Dietary fat/oils: Salad dressing oil, cream, cheese, butter, margarine, avocado, olives, among many others
Take Foods Rich in Minerals and Vitamins
While their sources are varied and widely spread, the main sources of minerals and vitamins are fruits, vegetables, and wholesome grains. Fruits and vegetables not only provide minerals and vitamins but also provide the fiber that mitigates constipation and enhances the movement of food in the gut.
Popular fruits are apples, bananas, oranges, mangos, and papayas. Vegetables include spinach, lettuce, broccoli, kales, green beans, tomatoes, cabbages, traditional vegetables such as manage, mrenda, saget, terere among others.
Take Foods Rich in Fiber
Additionally, the food we eat needs to be nutritionally dense in order to get the most out of the food without eating a lot of ‘junk’. Whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds and fruits and vegetables are good examples of nutritionally dense food. These foods are rich in fiber that makes us fuller for longer.
Drink a lot of water
The human body is made up of 60% water. Organs such as lungs, brain and heart are made of 83%, 73%, and 73% of water respectively. The water we consume is essential for:
- Internal body temperature regulation
- Metabolism and transport of food
- Flushing out waste from the body
- Acts as a lubricant in joints.
Generally, an adult human is recommended to take an average of 2.6 L of water daily. From the above write up, proper nutrition will help you to maintain a fit body and a healthy mind. Moreover, it can change your life by boosting your energy levels, improving your immunity, and hence reducing the visits to the doctor.
Nutrition & Dietetics Department KUTRRH.